Avocado pairs well with a variety of foods, including citrus fruits (like lemon or lime), tomatoes, leafy greens, eggs, bacon, and seafood (such as shrimp or smoked salmon). It also complements dishes like sandwiches, salads, and sushi.
One of the things to consider when pairing avocado with other ingredients is its texture. Avocado has a creamy and smooth texture that can complement or contrast with other textures in a dish.
Additionally, its flavor profile can range from mild to nutty, depending on the ripeness of the avocado.
Whether you're looking for a side dish, a topping, or a main course, there are plenty of options when it comes to serving avocado.
From classic combinations like avocado and tomato to more unexpected pairings like avocado and grapefruit, there are endless ways to enjoy this delicious fruit.
In this article, we'll explore some of the best ingredients to serve with avocado and how to make the most of this versatile ingredient in your cooking once you have sliced your avocado.
Salads are a classic way to enjoy avocados, and they pair well with various flavors and textures.
Here are some classic and creative salad pairings to try:
Classic Salad Pairings
Tomatoes, cucumber, and avocado are a classic combination that never gets old. Add some fresh herbs like cilantro or basil, and dress with olive oil and lime juice for a refreshing and healthy salad. Another classic pairing is avocado and corn. Add some diced red onion, black beans, and a sprinkle of chili powder for a Tex-Mex twist.
Creative Salad Pairings
Get creative with your salads by adding different fruits and vegetables for extra flavor and nutrition. Try pairing avocado with arugula, strawberries, and goat cheese for a sweet and tangy salad. Or mix avocado with roasted beets, quinoa, and feta cheese for a hearty and satisfying meal. For extra protein, add some grilled chicken or shrimp.
When making a salad with avocado, it's important to consider texture and creaminess. Avocado adds a rich and creamy texture to salads, so be sure to balance it out with some crunchy vegetables like carrots or bell peppers. Adding some fiber and protein with beans or nuts can also help make the salad more filling and satisfying.
Don't forget about garlic and pepper for some extra flavor. A simple dressing of olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice can bring out the flavors of the avocado and other ingredients. Experiment with different herbs and spices to find your perfect salad combination.
Sandwiches and Wraps
Avocado is a perfect ingredient for sandwiches and wraps. It adds a creamy texture and healthy fats to your meal. Make sure to choose the best sandwich bread to enhance quality and flavor.
Here are some classic and creative sandwich pairings that go well with avocado:
Classic Sandwich Pairings
The classic BLT sandwich is taken to a new level with the addition of avocado. The avocado adds a creaminess that complements the crispy bacon and fresh lettuce and tomato. Another classic pairing is turkey and avocado. The turkey provides protein and the avocado adds healthy fats and creaminess. Add some mayonnaise and black pepper for extra flavor.
Creative Sandwich Pairings
Get creative with your sandwich pairings by adding some unique ingredients. Try a chicken and avocado sandwich with mango jalapeno sauce for a sweet and spicy kick. Chives and black pepper are great additions to a cucumber and avocado sandwich. For a vegetarian option, try a grilled cheese with avocado and herbs. The avocado adds creaminess and the herbs add extra flavor.
Wraps are another great option for avocado lovers. Use a tortilla wrap and add some grilled chicken, avocado, and yogurt sauce for a healthy and filling meal. The avocado adds texture and creaminess to the wrap. Another option is a veggie wrap with avocado, tomatoes, and hummus. The avocado adds healthy fats and the hummus adds protein.
When it comes to Mexican dishes, avocado is a versatile ingredient that can be used in many ways.
Here are some ideas for incorporating avocado into your favorite Mexican dishes.
Tacos are a classic Mexican dish that can be made with a variety of fillings. Avocado is a great addition to tacos, adding creaminess and a unique flavor profile.
Here are some ways to use avocado in your tacos:
- Top your tacos with sliced avocado for a fresh and healthy addition
- Mash avocado with taco seasoning and spread it on your tortillas before adding your taco fillings
- Add diced avocado to your taco filling for extra texture and creaminess
Burritos are another popular Mexican dish that can be customized to your liking.
Here are some ways to incorporate avocado into your burritos:
- Mash avocado with lime juice and spread it on your tortilla before adding your burrito fillings
- Add sliced avocado to your burrito filling for a fresh and healthy addition
- Make a creamy avocado sauce to drizzle over your burrito by blending avocado, cilantro, and sour cream
Nachos are a crowd-pleasing Mexican dish that can be made with a variety of toppings.
Here are some ways to use avocado in your nachos:
- Top your nachos with sliced avocado for a fresh and healthy addition
- Add diced avocado to your nacho topping for extra texture and creaminess
- Make a quick guacamole by mashing avocado with lime juice, onion, cilantro, and tomato sauce
Overall, avocado is a great addition to any Mexican dish, adding creaminess and a unique flavor profile. Try incorporating avocado into your favorite Mexican dishes for a fresh and healthy twist.
Fish and Seafood
Avocado is a perfect pairing with fish and seafood. It adds a creamy and fresh taste to any seafood dish. Here are some ideas for serving avocado with your favorite fish and seafood:
Grilled Fish Pairings
Grilled fish is a classic dish that pairs well with avocado.
Choose from some of the many healthy fish options; a fish that has a smoky flavor will complement the creaminess of the avocado.
Here are some ideas for serving grilled fish with avocado:
- Grilled salmon with avocado salsa
- Grilled halibut with avocado and tomato salad
- Grilled swordfish with avocado and mango salsa
Mix diced avocado, diced tomato, red onion, chopped cilantro, lime juice, and salt for the avocado salsa.
Serve the grilled fish with the avocado salsa on top or the side.
Sushi is another dish that pairs well with avocado. The creaminess of the avocado goes well with the texture of the sushi rice and the protein of the fish. Here are some ideas for serving sushi with avocado:
- California rolls with avocado, crab, and cucumber
- Spicy tuna rolls with avocado and cucumber
- Salmon and avocado nigiri
You can also serve sushi with avocado aioli or avocado ranch for dipping. To make avocado aioli, blend avocado, lemon juice, garlic, and mustard in a food processor. To make avocado ranch, mix avocado, sour cream, buttermilk, herbs, and anchovies.
Breakfast and Brunch
Avocado is a great addition to any breakfast or brunch menu. Whether you're looking for classic pairings or creative combinations, avocado is a versatile ingredient that can add creaminess, healthy fats, and texture to your meal.
Classic Breakfast Pairings
Avocado toast is a classic breakfast pairing that has become increasingly popular in recent years. Simply mash up an avocado and spread it on your favorite toast. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and you're good to go. Add a poached egg or some bacon to your avocado toast for a more filling breakfast.
Another classic breakfast pairing is avocado and eggs. Try making an avocado and egg breakfast sandwich by toasting a bagel, adding sliced avocado, a fried egg, and some fresh herbs. Or, make an avocado and egg bowl by cooking up some quinoa, adding sliced avocado, a poached egg, and some fresh tomatoes and herbs.
Creative Breakfast Pairings
If you're looking for something a little more creative, try making avocado pancakes.
Simply blend together some avocado, eggs, flour, and milk, and cook them up like regular pancakes. Top them with fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey for a sweet option to share at the breakfast table!
For a savory breakfast option, try making avocado and bacon breakfast tacos. Cook up some bacon and scrambled eggs, and then add sliced avocado, fresh tomatoes, and a sprinkle of cumin and cayenne pepper. Serve them in warm tortillas for a delicious and filling breakfast.
Finally, if you're looking for a healthy breakfast option, try making an avocado and quinoa breakfast bowl. Cook up some quinoa, and then add sliced avocado, fresh vegetables, and a sprinkle of fresh herbs.
Top it off with a poached egg or grilled chicken for extra protein.
Pizza and Burgers
Avocado can be a great addition to your pizza or burger night. Not only does it add a creamy texture, but it also brings a healthy dose of good fats and nutrients to your meal.
Here are some delicious pairings to try:
When it comes to pizza, avocado can be a great replacement for traditional tomato pizza or marinara sauce.
Spread mashed avocado on your pizza crust and top it with your favorite toppings.
Here are some ideas:
|Tomatoes and Basil
|Avocado and Mozzarella
|Peppers and Onions
|Avocado and Blue Cheese
|Mushrooms and Spinach
|Avocado and Arugula
Avocado can also be a great addition to your pizza as a topping. Slice it thinly and add it to your pizza along with other toppings.
The creaminess of the avocado pairs well with the bold flavors of the toppings.
It may seem as controversial as the Hawaiian burger, but avocado can take your burger to the next level. It adds a creamy texture and a healthy dose of good fats.
Here are some delicious pairings to try:
|Avocado and Cheddar Cheese
|Avocado and Jalapenos
|Avocado and Mustard Aioli
Avocado can also be a great replacement for mayonnaise or ketchup on your burger. The creaminess of the avocado pairs well with the bold flavors of the burger.
Try it on a bacon cheeseburger for a delicious contrast of flavors.
Soups and Stews
Avocado is a versatile ingredient that can be paired with a variety of soups and stews.
Whether you're looking for classic pairings or creative combinations, avocados can add creaminess, texture, and healthy fats to your meal - the skin of an avocado is arguably the healthiest part.
Classic Soup Pairings
Avocado is a classic pairing for many soups, including:
- Tomato soup
- Tortilla soup
- Chicken noodle soup
The creaminess of avocado complements the acidity of tomato-based soups, while the texture adds a satisfying element to brothy soups like chicken noodle. For a refreshing summer soup, try pairing avocado with gazpacho.
Creative Soup Pairings
Avocado can also be paired with more creative soup combinations, such as:
- Broccoli and avocado soup
- Quinoa and avocado soup
- Herb and avocado soup
- Avocado and protein-packed lentil soup
Broccoli and avocado soup is a healthy and flavorful combination, with both ingredients providing a good source of fiber and vitamins. Quinoa and avocado soup is a protein-packed option that can be customized with your favorite herbs and spices. For a hearty and satisfying meal, try avocado with protein-packed lentil soup.
Fruits and Vegetables
Avocado is a versatile ingredient that pairs well with a variety of fruits and vegetables. You can try adding avocado to your salads, smoothies, or sandwiches.
Here are some options to consider:
- Pineapple: The sweetness of pineapple complements the creaminess of avocado. Try adding diced pineapple to your guacamole or topping your avocado toast with grilled pineapple.
- Garlic and herbs: Adding garlic and herbs like cilantro or parsley to your avocado can enhance its flavor profile. Try making a garlic-herb avocado spread to use as a dip or sandwich spread.
- Cumin: Cumin adds a warm, earthy flavor to avocado. Try adding a pinch of cumin to your avocado toast or guacamole.
- Balsamic vinegar and lemon juice: These acidic ingredients can help balance the richness of avocado. Try drizzling balsamic vinegar or lemon juice over your avocado toast or salad.
Dips and Sauces
Avocado can also be used to make delicious dips and sauces.
Here are some options to consider:
- Guacamole: A classic avocado dip that pairs well with tortilla chips or veggies. Try adding diced tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos to your guacamole for extra flavor.
- Mayonnaise: Adding mashed avocado to your mayonnaise can create a creamy, flavorful spread for sandwiches or burgers.
- Salsas: Avocado can add creaminess and texture to your favorite salsa recipe. Try making a mango-avocado salsa or a tomato-avocado salsa.
- Pesto: Avocado can be used as a base for pesto instead of traditional basil. Try making an avocado-basil pesto to use as a pasta sauce or dip.
Avocado can be paired with a variety of other ingredients for a unique and flavorful dish.
Here are some options to consider:
- Cheese: Feta cheese pairs well with avocado and can add a salty contrast to its creaminess. Try adding crumbled feta cheese to your avocado toast or salad.
- Texture: Avocado can add creaminess to a dish that may otherwise lack texture. Try adding diced avocado to your chili or soup.
- Flavor profile: Avocado can complement or enhance the flavor of other ingredients. Try adding avocado to your caprese salad for an extra burst of flavor.