The best way to cook prepackaged gnocchi is to boil them in salted water for 2-4 minutes until they float, then drain and serve with your preferred sauce.
Prepackaged gnocchi makes the best quick and delicious meals during the week. You can have gnocchi with any sauce and without the need to prepare the gnocchi from scratch.
The most commonly used method to cook gnocchi is to cook them until they rise above the surface of the water. They will then be soft yet slightly chewy.
To make the most of the Gnocchi that you buy from a supermarket, keep reading to learn the best ways to cook it!
How to Cook Prepackaged Gnocchi
A small package of supermarket-purchased gnocchi gives you a choice of ways to cook it.
You can use the classic way of boiling gnocchi or frying it in butter and oil or bake the gnocchi alongside other vegetables on a baking sheet.
You could also cook the gnocchi in an air fryer, which will make them crispy outside yet super soft inside.
Cook your prepackaged gnocchi in one of these ways, then serve it with your favorite sauce or toppings.
You can also easily reheat gnocchi so that you can reuse it if you have leftovers!
Boiling Prepackaged Gnocchi
Boiling prepackaged gnocchi is an easy and fast preparation method. It doesn’t require you to be a chef.
Prepackaged gnocchi should ideally be cooked in boiling water. You should look at the sodium content on the package's label. If the gnocchi is rich in salt, do not add salt to the water.
Here’s how to boil prepackaged Gnocchi:
- Make sure to fill a pot with water until it is about 1/3 full.
- Add salt to the water if the gnocchi isn’t very salt-rich.
- Set the heat to medium and put the pot on the stove.
- Let the water become steaming hot.
- Then put the prepackaged gnocchi into the pot. Do not put it in all at once, as this will result in sticking.
- Let the gnocchi simmer in the boiling water, and keep an eye on them as they cook.
- When the gnocchi rises above the water level, take them out using a slotted spoon.
The cooking time of prepackaged gnocchi will vary and depends if the gnocchi is frozen or dried.
Cooking time should range between 2 and 5 minutes, but to make sure that the gnocchi doesn’t cook too long. Remove each piece once it has reached the top of the water level.
Serve it with the sauce of your choice and add some veggies and proteins.
The best sauces for gnocchi are Bolognese, pesto, mushroom and tomato, and marinara sauce.
Check the packaging of the gnocchi to find additional cooking suggestions!
Frying Prepackaged Gnocchi
Cooking gnocchi in a frying pan is one of the best methods. Unlike the dense and sometimes tough dumplings that you can get from boiling gnocchi – this will result in them being soft and fluffy inside and crisp on the outside.
Frying gnocchi is simple and will give fantastic results. It is unnecessary to cook the gnocchi in advance.
Here’s how to fry gnocchi:
- Prepare an oil frying pan on the stove at medium temperature.
- Add a little oil and butter into the pan and allow it to melt.
- Gnocchi should be added to the pan and stirred often.
- Let the gnocchi simmer in oil and butter until it’s golden on all sides and crisp on the outside.
- Take the gnocchi out of the pan once they are golden and crisp.
Fried gnocchi is delicious and can be served by itself. You can also add some chopped garlic before removing the pan from the stove, make sure to add some salt and pepper.
Simple flavors work well when served with gnocchi dumplings and butter. A few leaves of sage added to the dish prior to taking the gnocchi off the heat can also give it extra flavor!
Other sauces for fried gnocchi could include pesto or mild tomato sauce or a tomato and mascarpone sauce, melted cream cheese, or garlic mushrooms.
You can add the sauce to the pan together with the gnocchi after removing it from the heat to blend the flavors and heat the sauce.
Read the guide: best gnocchi boards for making gnocchi.
Roasting Prepackaged Gnocchi
If you want to try something different, you can cook the prepackaged gnocchi by roasting them in the oven. It’s a simple and straightforward method. The gnocchi can be cooked together with other ingredients to create delicious meals on a sheet pan.
Roasting gnocchi and putting other vegetables in the pan will give you a meal that is quick, and full of flavor and texture. You don’t need to boil the gnocchi beforehand and cook other ingredients separately.
Here’s how to roast pre-packaged Gnocchi:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Gnocchi should be placed on the baking tray, together with the other vegetables of your choice.
- Sprinkle some crushed pepper on the gnocchi and vegetables then drizzle them with olive oil. Mix the ingredients in the oil.
- Put the baking tray in the oven, and let it cook for approx 10 minutes.
- Within 10 minutes, mix the gnocchi with the vegetables, and then place the baking sheet in the oven for an extra 8-10 minutes.
- Once the gnocchi have enlarged and caramelized, they’re ready to eat.
- Serve with freshly chopped herbs and grated cheese.
You can be as creative as you want with the ingredients, simply add them to the baking pan along with the Gnocchi, but make sure the ingredients or vegetables are spread out to cook equally.
Cooking Prepackaged Gnocchi in an Air Fryer
If you own an air fryer, use it to cook deliciously crispy gnocchi.
Here’s how you make gnocchi using an air fryer:
- Heat the air fryer up to 400 degrees F.
- Place the gnocchi in an empty bowl, then toss it around with olive oil.
- Put the gnocchi to the air fryer, making sure it’s level.
- Bake for 10 minutes, taking the basket out every 3 minutes and shaking it.
- Check the gnocchi after 10 minutes to make sure it’s cooked correctly. It may take more or less time in order to fully cook.
- Serve once golden and crispy.
Sprinkle with butter or oil and parmesan cheese, or just serve it plain. Sauces like pesto and marinara can also be added.
Does Prepackaged Gnocchi Need to be Refrigerated?
Gnocchi that has been prepackaged and displayed in a refrigerator must be stored in the refrigerator.
If the prepackaged gnocchi is refrigerated it can last for up to 1 month.
Prepackaged gnocchi can be stored in the pantry for a while, so long as they are stored in a cool and dark place. The packaging should not be opened.
Once the prepackaged gnocchi is opened, it must be kept in the refrigerator and consumed within 3 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you overcook gnocchi?
Gnocchi can be cooked too long. If gnocchi is cooked in water and overcooked, they can become soft, chewy and clumpy. When you fry them for too long, the gnocchi may become hard.
Should you boil gnocchi before you cook it?
You don't need to cook gnocchi in water prior to frying it, but if you can, you should! This gives the gnocchi an incredibly crispy golden outer layer yet still light and soft in the middle.
Then, you have the option of coating the gnocchi with garlic and butter.
How do you fix sticky gnocchi?
If you find your gnocchi sticky, you can fix it by adding some flour to the dough.